Need Help?

What does my insurance cover?

What does my homeowners insurance cover?

Most homeowners insurance policies today have six specific sections of coverage that come standard with the policy. Those six coverages are dwelling, other structures, personal property, loss of use, liability, and medical payments to others. Each coverage is outlined below to help you get a better idea of what homeowners insurance covers.

Dwelling. This section of your homeowners insurance package covers your house structure, plumbing, heating, air conditioning, and any other attached structures or fixtures. When people seek to acquire home insurance, this is most often the coverage that is the most important to them. Dwelling coverage does not include land.

Other Structures. This section covers any structure on your property that is not attached to your home. This includes but is not limited to a detached garage, fence, mailbox, sheds, retaining wall, driveway, etc.

Personal Property. This section covers all of the contents of your home. It will cover your bed, TV, appliances, couches, clothes, jewelry, and everything you own in the home.

Loss of Use. This section is used when your home has been damaged and you need to relocate to a hotel or another residence while your home is being repaired. On a reimbursement basis, it will cover you for any additional expenses you incur as a result of temporarily living away from your home. The typical expenses that can be reimbursed under this coverage include lodging (hotel or apartment), additional food costs, additional gas for having to commute an extra distance, etc.

Liability. This section protects you from lawsuits. The coverage is very broad and will even protect you for liability acts that occur due to your negligence away from your property. (For example: you hit someone on the head with a golf ball at the golf course, and they sue). Liability coverage in your home insurance policy does not typically extend to automobile, watercraft, or slander and libel liability.

Medical Payments to Others. This section covers welcomed guests to your residence that get injured while on your property. It will pay for things like x-ray, dental work, ambulance rides, hospital bills, etc.